The Inbox Magazine on Astronomy News, Sky Events, and Astronomy in Everyday Life
A twice-monthly newsletter that began May 2021, and that:
* brings the most interesting news stories (This Just In) which connect to the current night sky,
* contains a textual and visual two-week Sky Planning Calendar, using the Moon’s wanderings to find the planets and other objects, notes on the Planets and events,
* our astronomical horoscope musings, Border Crossings,
* Observing — Plan-et covers the Solar System happenings in the sky,
* For the Future–upcoming events you should be aware of,
* and the quirky findings of Astronomy in Everyday Life, and (in 2022) Star Trek stars (to coincide with a future Hermograph Press book).
The Galactic Times also offers other occasional features and articles including travel stories with an astronomical bent, software information, and other things…the universe is vast…..
Many stories come from the latest news in world astronomy conferences and journals. Unlike in mass media, all the stories are authoritatively written by astronomer, journalist and educator Dr. Larry Krumenaker.
Use the menus above to explore past issues, and a subject matter index. Sign up for The Galactic Times to be sent straight to your email inbox twice a month, for FREE! For free sample readings on the Web, for more information and , well, just to subscribe, click here.
The Galactic Times is currently on a hiatus while Dr. Krumenaker is on a medical leave, as of April 1, 2023.
The Latest Six Issues: (click here to go to All Posts)
- #44 -Terrestrial Planets Rule the Evening – Lunar Water Beads – & 7 More StoriesTGT 4/1/23: This Just In–Jupiter Storms + Probe, Neptune’s Trojans, Moon’s Water Beads; Sky Planning–Terrestrials Rule The Evening; Astro in Everyday Life–Sweet and Tasty! TGT Going on Hold+Survey
- #43: – Whale of a Border Crossing – Ice on Mars’ Equator – & 4 More StoriesTGT 3/17/23: This Just In–Glaciers on Mars Equator, Water Link in a Protostar, Huygens’ Glasses; Sky Calendar–Planetary/Lunar Conjunctions, Good Photo Nights, Border Crossing–Pisces and Cetus.
- #42 – The Waters of Mars – Travel to the Odessa Crater – & 3 More StoriesTGT 3/1/23: This Just In–Evidence for Martian Water; Astro Travel–The Odessa Crater; Sky Planning Calendar–Venus+Jupiter=Brilliant Double Star!, Mercury Meets Saturn in Dawn; AEL–Eat at Jupiter!!
- #41: – Why Your Day is a Day Long – Eating at Planetary Restaurants – & 2 More StoriesTGT 2/15/23: AAS: Why Earth’s Day HAS to be 24 Hours Long; Evening Sky is a Planetary Traffic Jam; Restaurants and Bars with Planetary Names for the February Holidays; MSU Shooting
- #40: – Sunspots, Stars, Coronas and Magnetism – Planets Coming and Going – 8 Total StoriesTGT 2/1/23: AAS: Connections Between Sun, Spots, Star Ages +Spots + Magnetism, and Coronal Rains; Sky Calendar–Mars & 2 Red Stars, Inner Planet Show, Giants Going, ZTF Prime!; Moon Cheese; Trek Stars
- #39: – Demographics of Exoplanets – Half a Year of Mars Weather – & 3 moreTGT 1/17/23: Finding and Explaining Exoplanets; Venus and Saturn, Moon Over Mars, Comet Near Polaris; The General Weather at Jezero; A Starry Drink.
Podcast: Hear about the astronomy from the people who make the discoveries.
Looking for The Galactic Times Podcast? It has ceased broadcasting, regrettably, but you can still hear its ten intriguing episodes on the legacy pages in the menu at the top of the page!